In order to file Petition for Dissolution in the State of California, a party has to be a resident of the State of California for 6 months prior to the filing of the Petition, and a resident in a County where he/she is filing, for 3 months.

One would file a dissolution or a legal separation action in a Family Court in a County of his/her residence. Visit the court’s website link to determine in which court to file in San Diego County: http://www.sdcourt.ca.gov/portal/page?_pageid=55,1555635&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The Superior Court has exclusive subject matter jurisdiction in marital actions, including exclusive authority to adjudicate issues of marital status, child custody, child support, spousal support, division of property and attorney fees and costs.

Judgment for dissolution terminates the marriage and restores the parties to the status of unmarried persons, while legal separation does not.

For more information call the Law Office of Maria Taylor at (760) 583-1473.